Oil on Paper, 76 x 56 cm / 56 x 76 cm and oil on canvas, 50 x 40 cm / 200 x 250 cm, 2017
Paintings after photographs of an Allach porcelain figurine of an Alsatian dog, presumably given to Hitler by Himmler. Title of series refers to the name Hitler gave his dog, Blondi.
The porcelain factory Porzellan Manufaktur Allach was established as a private concern in 1935 in the small town of Allach, near Munich, Germany. In 1936 the factory was acquired by the SS. Heinrich Himmler saw the acquisition of a fine porcelain factory as a way to establish an industrial base for the production of works of art that would represent, in Himmler‘s eyes, true Germanic culture. Allach porcelain was one of Himmler’s favorite projects and produced various figurines (soldiers, animals, etc.) to compete in the small but profitable German porcelain market.
High-ranking artists were locked into contract. The program of the factory included over 240 porcelain and ceramic models. As output at the Allach factory increased, the Nazis moved production to a new facility near the Dachau concentration camp.
Starting from 1941 German civilians and about 50 prisoners of the Allach subcamp of the Dachau concentration camp were employed with production of art and porcelain.
- Not yet